German Intensive for Everyday & Work
In our most intensive German course, you will develop not only your social, professional and language skills but also your personal skills as you learn German for work and everyday life. This course’s main objective is to help you become integrated into the Swiss job market.
Course: Intensive German for Everyday & Work
Course length: 8 weeks, 160 lessons
Course times: Monday to Friday, 8.30 a.m.–11.50 p.m.
Level: A1–B2 based on the CEFR
Registration deadline: 1 week before the course begins (later registration possible depending on availability)
Fees (depending on income):
For Basel-Stadt residents: CHF 249.– to CHF 1,742.–
For Baselland residents: CHF 1'244.– to CHF 1'990.–
For Solothurn residents: CHF 1,120.– (from course level B2 onwards: CHF 2,488.–)
For residents of other cantons and referring agencies: CHF 2,488.–
Specifics: We are taking safeguards related to the corona pandemic. If social distance rules and/or maximum number of participants per course room remain defined at the course start, the course may take place in divided groups. A course instructor will teach half-groups (probably in separate course rooms). Please note the relevant additions to our general terms and conditions.
Why is Intensive German for Everyday & Work the right course for you?
> You will improve your language skills for every-day life and work and gain the speaking and writing skills you need to better handle everyday situations..
> You will develop personal tools for your first steps into the Swiss job market.
> You will develop your personal and social skills.
What exactly do you learn in this course?
> Strategies for building up and expanding your vocabulary for every-day life and work
> How to improve your pronunciation and speaking skills using conversation and phonetic exercises
> Grammar and structure, writing skills
> Listening and reading skills
> Learning and study techniques
> Job application strategies
> How to use computer learning programmes
What sets our courses apart?
> Practical lessons: you learn through real-life examples.
> Interaction: we emphasize communication and student involvement.
> Student focus: we adapt to your learning pace–from the first day to the last.
> Need-orientation: you determine your learning process. We support you.
> Variety: you learn alone, in pairs and in groups with various media.
> Technology: you become familiar with and use digital media and e-learning tools.
> Flexibility: we offer individual tutoring on request.
More valuable information
> On the first course day we clarify your existing language abilities and course placement.
> You learn together with a maximum of 15 other course participants. We will implement the regulations on distance keeping of the Federal office for Health, which is why the class composition might be subject to change.
> We recommend 3-5 hours of independent study a week.
> At the end of the course you receive a confirmation of participation indicating your language reference level and attendance.
K5 helps you successfully learn German – customized to your needs.
A written confirmation of participation will be issued at the end of a course. This confirmation includes course content, course dates, course level(s) and number of lessons.To receive if the participant has to complete and fully pay the course.
Course registration may be cancelled at no cost up until one week before the course begins. If course registration is cancelled within one week after the course begins, a fee of CHF 75.– will be charged. As of the second course week, the full course fees will be billed.
For private payers a course and childcare fee reduction is possible depending on the canton of residency and will be reviewed at the time of registration. Please see additional proivisions by canton of residence below.
Course fees may be paid in instalments. The first instalment is due when the course begins. Course fees must be paid in full before the end of the course.
Due to the current corona pandemic, K5 Basler Kurszentrum is obliged to implement protective measures (e.g. keep distance). By registering for the course, the course participant confirms that the K5 Basler Kurszentrum is authorized to undertake/ adapt appropriate measures in the course structure if necessary. Examples include:
- Conducting lessons in divided courses:
- one course instructor teaches two semigroups in parallel in different course rooms
- division of the course groups into two half groups, which alternate in terms of "attendance on site" and "guided learning at home"
- Conversion of classroom instruction into other suitable forms of "guided learning"
- Conversion of classroom instruction to "distance learning" with video conferences
In order for the participants to be able to participate in distance learning and/ or guided learning, they must have appropriate digital devices (computer, tablet) and an Internet connection and be able to use them (including downloading, for example Video conference apps etc.). Responsibility in this regard rests with the participant. Loan devices are available in limited numbers from the K5.
The course costs remain owed in full in the aforementioned measures. Lessons in "distance learning" and "guided learning" are rated as class attendance.
In addition, K5 Basler Kurszentrum is authorized to exclude participants from the course if thereby official instructions are implemented. Examples include:
- Participants who show signs of illness and /or who dod not or only insufficiently implement the official hygiene measures
- Participants who belong to a risk group according to the Federal Office of Public Health
- Participants who have to isolate themselves according to the Federal Office of Public Health or a medical prescription
The course costs remain owed in full in the aforementioned measures.
- Additional provisions for participants from the Canton of Basel-Stadt: A reduction in the course fee is possible if you live in Basel-Stadt. The family income forms the basis for the decision. This must be proven in writing before the start of the course with proof of the health insurance premium reduction. Personal data of participants who receive a reduction in the course fee is passed on to the Education Department of the canton Basel-Stadt.
- Additional provisions for participants from Canton of Basel-Landschaft: If you live in Baselland, a reduction of the course fee is possible up to the GER level B1. The family income forms the basis for the decision. It must be documented in writing with three pay slips before the start of the course. Statistical information of the participants who receive a reduction in the course fee is passed on to the canton Basel-Landschaft.
- Additional provisions for participants from Canton of Solothurn: Residents from Solothurn can receive a reduction in course fee up to the GER level B1. For participants who attend an offer subsidized by the Canton of Solothurn, the general provisions of the Canton of Solothurn regarding course cancellations, course confirmation and absence regulations take precedence. Statistical information of participants who receive a reduction in the course fee are passed on to the Social Security Office of the Canton of Solothurn.